The correspondence to do with global warming and climate change at the Richmond Times-Dispatch (the principal newspaper for central Virginia) continues. The latest letter (shown below) is from Ms. Monica Lewis. She is writing in response to Mr. Tim Brandon’s original letter and the reply from Mr. Ian Sutton. (The bananas motif stems from the possibility that, if the climate does change significantly, we may be able to grow tropical fruits in the area.)
Ms. Lewis’ letter is shown below. It was published on November 2nd 2019.
Various topics are covered in these letters. They include,
- Accept that the climate is warming and simply taking advantage of that fact.
- The potential for a move away from globalization toward decentralization of many of our institutions.
- The value of actions taken by politicians at the national level.
- The need for mitigation efforts, including carbon pricing.
- Ms. Lewis refers to the “sixth great extinction event of geological time”.
What all three writers seem to agree on is that the climate is warming. Moreover, we cannot stop the warming — the best we can do is adapt in one way or another.